CITY SCHOOL BUS SCHEDULE
(updated August 2018)
In the interest of safety and to relieve traffic congestion around the elementary school, city school bus services for students in kindergarten through 12th grade will be offered according to the following schedule:
BUS 87 (TURTLE) STOPS AT:
CANYON HILLS MANOR (Pick up: 7:44 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:10)
14TH ST. - SOUTH OF CHEVY CHASE (Pick up: 7:46 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:12)
CEDAR RIDGE & MOUNTAIN VIEW (Pick up: 7:48 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:14)
MOUNTAIN VIEW & VALLEY VISTA (Pick up: 7:50 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:16)
14th & CANDY JACK PARK (Pick up: 7:52 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:18)
12th & BROADWAY @ PLAY PARK (Pick up: 7:56 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:21)
9TH & ARAPAHOE (Pick up: 7:58 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:23)
BUS 88 (BEAR) STOPS AT:
604 WARREN (Pick up: 7:45 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:19)
8TH & FREMONT (Pick up: 7:47 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:17)
10TH & AMORETTI (Pick up: 7:50 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:14)
12th & CANDY JACK PARK (Pick up: 7:53 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:11)
10th & WARREN (Pick up: 7:55 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:10)
*Bear route will run in reverse order in the afternoon.
BUS 13 (BISON) STOPS AT:
EAST ARAPAHOE & C STREET(by Red Rock) (Pick up: 7:43 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:16)
C STREET & E WARREN (Pick up: 7:46 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:15)
124 E WARREN STREET (Pick up: 7:48 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:13)
2ND & FREMONT (Pick up: 7:52 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:12)
5TH & AMORETTI (Pick up: 7:55 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:10)
*Bison route will run in reverse order in the afternoon.
BUS 86 (EAGLE) STOPS AT:
8TH & RICHARDS (Pick up: 7:55 / Approx. Drop off Time: 4:10)
PLEASE BE AT YOUR STOP 5 MINUTES BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME.
The 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade shuttle buses will leave the main bus terminal at approximately 8:00 a.m. to transport students to the Middle School. Please note that any Middle School student living within 1.5 miles of the Middle School is not entitled to ride the bus unless they have to Cross 6th Street or Broadway to get to the Middle School.
IMPORTANT: Any changes to your student’s regular stop must be called into the bus garage first. If it is for just a day, you must send a note with the student. If your student is bringing a friend home, both students’ parents must send a note. All buses are equipped with Surveillance Cameras and will be recording audio and video.
All routes from school to home will leave the main bus terminal at 4:05 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 12:45 p.m. on Fridays.
RURAL BUS SCHEDULES:
Please call the Transportation Department at 864-6600 for times for your stop or to make any changes to your student's stop.
If you have questions, please contact:
Barb Allen, Transportation Director at 864-6600.
- The school transportation system is primarily designed to convey students from home to school and school to home, with emphasis on the health and safety of students. Routes shall be planned to provide the best possible service to each rural area in the district. Consideration shall be given to minimize travel time and miles traveled.
- Safety of the passengers shall receive first consideration when a decision has to be made regarding where and when a bus shall operate. Buses shall operate only on routes established by the Transportation Office, with Board approval when applicable. Route changes must be made and approved by the Transportation Office and the Board when applicable. Routes may be altered or discontinued at any time due to boundary and/or population changes, or school schedule requirements.
School buses will furnish regular transportation to students living in designated rural areas that have an acceptable road, which can efficiently be part of the bus route.
Bus stops within city limits will be placed outside a minimum-walking radius from the main school building as follows:
- 1 mile from an elementary school
- 1.5 miles from a junior high school/middle school
- 2 miles from a high school
No transportation shall be provided to children living within these walking distances unless approved by a local district. As stated in the Pupil Transportation Rules and Regulations, a local district may, by official board action, transport students within the walking distance if they find that there is a physical barrier that would prevent a student from walking to school or a safety hazard that could cause the student harm. No Middle School student that lives within 1.5 miles of the middle school will be allowed to ride a route bus unless the student lives on the north side of Broadway Street.
Middle School Walk Zone
While the Board of Education provides pupil transportation according to policy, it does not relieve parents of students from the responsibility of supervision until such time as the child boards the bus in the morning. Once a child boards the bus, he or she falls under the supervision of the school district. Such supervision shall end when the child is delivered to the regular bus stop at the close of the day.
Whenever it would be in the best interest of the affected children, the local board of trustees may provide for isolation reimbursement to the family in lieu of bus transportation to the nearest bus stop.
Unusual circumstances may be brought before the board of trustees.
Continuous evaluation and improvement of bus transportation will be pursued by the administration.
- Authorized students are those students who are currently enrolled in Hot Springs County School District No. 1. If parents wish their child(ren) to ride another district bus, they must make their request in writing and give it to the bus driver, who in turn will notify the Transportation Supervisor.
- Individuals other than authorized students will be allowed to ride the bus as approved by the appropriate building administrator.
- No pre-school aged children will be allowed to ride the buses.
- Drivers are expected to know his/her student passengers and permit only authorized persons to ride in the bus.
- Confront the student / students immediately.
- Follow the procedures outlined in “Outline For Behavior Management,” page 13.
The authority to suspend bus-riding privileges of a student lies with the Building Principal. Students are to be discharged only at the school or assigned bus stop. Never discharge a student during the route as a disciplinary action. The bus driver may assign seats if he/she feels it necessary for discipline purposes. If students are not following instructions, the bus driver may pull off the road to a safe stop until the students have maintained order. The bus shall be as far right in the parking lane as possible with no part of the bus being in the lane of traffic. A school bus driver must never enforce discipline by use of profanity, striking a student, or use of physical force. Report any disruptive behavior/trouble to this office immediately. Parents are encouraged to come in and talk over any discipline problem with the driver and his/her supervisor.
- Verbal Warning – The bus driver will discuss the problem with the student and try to find a solution so that the behavior will not occur again. (A short entry will be documented in the bus driver’s daily log.) The driver will tell the student that the next violation of the bus rules will result in a disciplinary report being sent to their building principal. It is optional for Driver to call Parent. Calling parent to get involved could help with student discipline.
- Second Verbal Warning – The bus driver will discuss the problem with the student and try to find a solution so that the behavior will not occur again. (A short entry will be documented in the bus driver’s daily log.) The driver will tell the student that the next violation of the bus rules will result in a disciplinary report being sent to their building principal. It is mandatory that a Driver call and communicate what is going on with the behavior of their child. Also need to inform the Principal of what is going on with this student. Communication is the key.
- Transportation Disciplinary Report – If the behavior continues a
- “Transportation Disciplinary Report” will be completed and sent to the building Principal for disciplinary action. The Principal will meet with the student and/or parents to discuss the behavior problems. The Principal will forward a copy of the report with action taken to the parents and the Transportation Supervisor. The parent and student must sign the Disciplinary Report and return a copy of it to the Principal. The Principal will forward a copy of the signed report to the Transportation Supervisor.
- 1st Offense- Principal will meet with the student, contact parents, mail home discipline bus referral, (next bus discipline referral will automatically result in a 1 week bus suspension) Parent and Student must sign and return a copy of the Disciplinary Report to the Principal. A Copy of the signed Disciplinary Report must be received within one week of the Disciplinary Report date or further disciplinary action will be taken.
- 2nd Offense- Principal will meet with the student, contact parents, mail home discipline bus referral, and the student will automatically serve a 1 week bus suspension. Parent and Student must sign Disciplinary Report and signed Disciplinary Report must be received before student can ride bus again.
- 3rd Offense- Principal will meet with the student, contact parents, mail home discipline bus referral, and could result in up to the loss of bus privileges for the remainder of the school year. Parent and Student must sign Disciplinary Report and signed Disciplinary Report must be received before student can ride the bus again. ****Building principals may suspend a student indefinitely based upon a student by student case.****
- C. Serious Offense – In case of serious offenses, the building principal may circumvent the preceding steps and suspend a student’s riding privileges. A student suspended from riding the bus will be expected to attend school while suspended. If the student does not attend school without an acceptable excuse, then the school principal will follow normal district procedure.
- In the need for immediate removal of a student from the bus, the bus driver should safely pull the bus to a stop, call an administrator or the Transportation Supervisor, and wait for their arrival.
- The Administrator/Transportation Supervisor will then take responsibility for the supervision of the student, and the bus driver will complete the route. The parents of the student shall be advised in writing within 72 hours of each disciplinary action taken by the principal.
- Each bus driver will maintain a log of events, kept on the bus, With respect to each disciplinary problem, the log shall show the date, name of the student, nature of the problem, whether parents were notified and the date notified, the date the Transportation Supervisor was notified, and any other action taken. Please follow the steps outlined above so that the administration can support you.
- An administrator may immediately remove a student from the bus for serious offenses. Administrators have the choice of dealing with discipline immediately, on the spot, and making transportation aware of this decision.
- Be at the bus stop 5 minutes early, ready to board the bus. Avoid rushing.
- Be careful in approaching the school bus stop. Wait until the bus is at a complete standstill before attempting to enter.
- Remain off the road at all times and behave in a safe manner while waiting for the bus.
- Students must follow the directions given them by the adult in charge.
- While waiting for the bus, students must remain at a safe distance from the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the door is open.
- Passengers of a school bus are limited to regular and approved pupils and activity sponsors.
- The possession or use of tobacco, alcohol, or controlled substances is prohibited.
- Guns (loaded or unloaded), shells, explosive articles, matches/lighters, knives, or any other potentially dangerous items are prohibited.
- Offensive language, disruptive behavior, or discourteous behavior is prohibited.
- Bus riders must remain in their seat and face forward while the bus is in motion. Riders are not to move or change seats unless instructed by the driver.
- Heads, hands, feet, and all objects are to be kept inside the bus at all times. There is to be no throwing or shooting of any articles at any time.
- Animals are prohibited.
- Riders are not to tamper with the emergency doors, windows, or any bus equipment. Any damage done to the seats or other bus equipment will be paid by the offender.
- Riders are to keep books, lunch boxes, and other objects out of the aisles and off the seats.
- Riders are to keep their seating areas clean. All trash must be deposited into a trash can.