|How many students are there in the 5th Grade?
- Class sizes vary from year-to-year. Typically there is anywhere between 45-60 students per grade. Each class has between 13-20 students.
How many classes do 5th Grade students have?
- Each school day consists of five core classes: reading, math, writing, science, and social studies. There is also reading skills, read aloud (fire), workshop, and wellness built into the schedule. Student rotate through writing, science, and social studies with their home rooms. Each class is 30 min long. For math and reading classes, students are regrouped according to their MAP (Measures of academic progress) scores.
What can you tell me about homework?
- As a 5th grade team, we understand how important family time is and how busy students can be with extracurricular activities. As a result, we try to keep homework to a minimum. At the very most, students may have 15 minutes of reading or a quick worksheet to complete. Typically homework is assigned if an assignment was not completed in class when adequate time was provided.
Do you utilize the Common Core State Standards?
- Yes, the Common Core State Standards serve as our guidelines for curriculum development and delivery.
What intervention or enrichment activities are available to my student in 5th Grade?
- There are many interventions and enrichments available for our 5th grade students. Our enrichments include: Friday Focus, Project-Based Learning activities, Odyssey, Community Service Projects, Lights On, and differentiation of lessons within the classrooms. In addition to enrichment activities, we provide intervention opportunities for all students at TMS. These opportunities include, but are not limited to: Academic Opportunity (A.O.), Breakfast Club, workshop, recess time, differentiation of lessons within the classrooms, and one-on-one teacher/student interactions.
When is the best time to contact the classroom teachers should I have any questions, comments, or concerns? What about the best method?
- Teachers are available before school (7:30-8:00) and after school (3:40 – 4:00). You can also contact your child’s teacher by email or phone. You can find each teacher’s contact information by clicking their picture on this page. We also encourage face-to-face communication between teachers and parents. If you wish to meet with a teacher we are more than willing to set up a time that is most convenient for you.